Sunday, September 28, 2008

Buckskin Gulch

I just finished an incredible experience. Buckskin Gulch, a tributary of the Paria River is about 40 miles east of Kanab and is considered to be the longest slot canyon in the world. It is 12 miles of twisting, turning canyon between high rock walls carved by eons of water wearing away softer rock and leaving a display of nature unequaled anywhere. The only place I have been that even comes close is the Narrows in Zion National Park, and that is like comparing a hamburger to a fillet Mignon.


I hiked Buckskin Gulch this week with some friends from up north. The idea originated with Kevin. He was feeling bad about missing the Grand Canyon hike in May because of a family trip, and suggested we do Buckskin Gulch. I must admit I knew very little about it, but with the help of Google was soon excited to go. Soon Jeff had joined our group and then his wife, Marta. Kevin's wife Cindy had previously expressed interest and now that another woman was going joined in. Jeff convinced his friend Gary to go, and that completed our group.

We planned our trip in late September, hoping the flash-flood season would be over. You really don't want to be caught in a slot canyon during a flood. Especially a 12 mile slot canyon. We met at the Whitehouse Campground on the Paria Friday morning, left a vehicle there and shuttled the other to the Wirepass Trailhead about 15 miles to the southwest along the Houserock Valley road.

We started hiking around 9:00am down Wirepass Canyon to Buckskin Gulch and from there down to it's confluence with the Paria River, a total of 13 miles. We had full packs which increased the difficulty of the hike, but otherwise it was not difficult.

There was water in places, the deepest being about three feet, and places where the walls were so narrow you had to squeeze through.

There was also a spot or two where you had to get on hands and knees, and one spot where Kevin was watching the ground and bumped his head on a log jambed cross ways in the channel.


There is one spot where you have to go over a rock jamb that requires a rope, but it is only about 15 feet and not difficult. We only took a short break for lunch, and reached the confluence of the Paria and our camping spot around 6:00pm.

There are places along the hike where the canyon widens and there is vegetation growing along sandy shelves above water line, but few are suitable for camping. There is one such spot at the confluence large enough for several camps and that is where we stayed the night. After setting up and having supper it was getting dark. Fires are not permitted so there wasn't much to do but crawl into the sleeping bag. With the help of a Lunesta, I was out like a light. I heard some snoring and tossed and turned on my skinny sleeping pad but otherwise slept quite well for a good eight hours and then only partially for the next two.



Up around seven we had breakfast and packed up and were on the trail by around 8:30 am. We hiked the seven miles up the Paria to the Whitehouse campground, arriving before 1:00pm. This section of the Paria is also quite spectacular. At Whitehouse it is fairly ordinary, but just a mile or so down it deepens and narrows into a spectacular show of nature surpassed only by the Buckskin.


After shuttling vehicles we ate lunch in Kanab and parted ways, I returned to New Harmony through Zion, the rest of the group headed back north. All in all, it was an incredible experience. Friendships deepened, nature treasured and God glorified for his marvelous creations. If you do much outdoors, you probably notice that as you grow older the ground gets harder. I was beginning to think I was too old for such nonsense, but this experience has rekindled that old flame that must have been smoldering inside because now I can't wait for the next opportunity to load up that pack and hit the trail.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Vernile. What a fun hike. It makes me wish I had made more time for fun while I was still physically (and mentally ?) able. I love your blog and appreciate getting reacquainted. Vickey LeFevre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish your fat brother would loose some weight so he could tag along with the skinny brother. Looks like a fun hike. Thanks for sharing

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hike!! I was so glad to see you had a new episode so that I could read about it. I admire you for your braveness. I'm sure you know I can barely read about you going, let alone do it myself. I don't know how you could EVER sleep in a slot canyon, but I'm glad you did. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are gorgeous! It kind of makes me want to get into hiking. Glad you made it back. ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome