Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Dance Club

It isn't really a club, its just a few folks getting together to learn and dance. Surprisingly, there are quite a few folks in this valley who really like to dance. I had thought that 'real' dancing was becoming a lost art, but perhaps not.
The VanWagners moved into the valley and offered to teach dance to anyone that wanted ot learn. Just after Christmas they had eleven couples jammed in their basement for the first session and quickly decided to move to the church. Now we are meeting every Saturday at 4:00pm. We are not only learning to dance, but we are also learning a special waltz routine for the floor show at the New Harmony Sweetheart's Ball on February 13th.


Today, January 24th, besides working on the waltz routine they taught us the basic steps of the Cha Cha. They want to also teach the Rhumba, the Two-Step and the Polka before the Ball.
Valentines is kind of special to Ellie and I. We had our first date to the Cedar High Sweetheart's Ball on February 12th, 1965. We attended the same Junior High and High School but never really knew each other until we were seniors. That year we had two classes together, and by virtue of alphabetical seating we sat by each other. The Sweetheart's Ball was girl's choice, and she just couldn't resist my charm and asked me. We were married fours years and four months later.

This is a photo of one of our first dates in 1965

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how I missed this blog, but this is the first time I have seen it. What a cute blog. Elma Lynne looks just like Joyce in the first date photo. We need to go to the dance class. That's neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Dad! Looks like a lot of fun and very interesting descriptions, as usual. That is a great picture of you and Mom; I'm not sure if I've ever seen it before. I see thin ties were in style in 1965. I also wonder if Mom's outfit was the beginning of her famed "white-glove treatment?"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome