Friday, July 18, 2008

Broadway In The Desert

Last night we had an incredible experience. We went to the production "Les Miserables" at the Tuacahn outdoor theater near Saint George. We had some qualms about the temperature, but it turned out to be quite pleasant. We thought we might get rained on for a while, but the cloud cover cooled things off somewhat and by intermission there were just a few lightning flashes in the distance and a nearly full moon peeking over our shoulder.

We had asked about the production, and had received comments like "over rated", and "okay", but I have to repeat that to me it was an incredible experience. I don't pretend to be a qualified critic, and you will probably agree when I confess that some of my favorite movies are "Michael" and "Groundhog Day", but I do know what I like, and I liked this!

I was impressed from the opening scene! Where else in this country will you see a team of live horses pull a loaded prison wagon onto the stage? In fact, several scenes make use of live horses pulling various contrivances, and in one scene there is even a live pig! And where else can you see this production where the battlefield at 'the barricade' is an entire hillside with an actual cannon and muskets firing?

And what of the acting? Again, I know I am not qualified as a critic, but when Fantine took her last breath and Jean ValJean promised to raise Cosette as his own, I had tears in my eyes. And that wasn't the only place. Little Eponine's loyalty and devotion made your heart ache and again a tear rolled down my cheek as she sang "On My Own" and gave her life for the revolution.

Along with the acting, the singing was magnificent! I got cold chills (it was around 90 degrees Fahrenheit) as Fantine sang "I Dreamed A Dream" and wanted to rush on the stage and hug Little Cosette when she sang "Castle On A Cloud". Cold chills came again when the students sang "Red and Black", and as Valjean sang "Bring Him Home".

Obviously I love the story of this musical as it threads the history of France and the revolution into the lives of these very real characters. I like the theme that man can overcome evil with good, that one small act of kindness can change a life, that man is not necessarily a product of his environment, but that he can change, and that God can be a very real force in our lives no matter what our situation.

There is much more that could be said, but if you have read this far I feel lucky to still have your attention. Let me end by saying that I saw this production several years ago in Salt Lake City presented by a professional Broadway Acting Company and paid $65.00 for very mediocre tickets. Last night as a senior resident of Washington County I paid $27.00 and sat on the second row where I could see every expression and even the spit. I liked this one much, much more.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have read this. We are going to go see it in Oct. when we are down there for the St George marathon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome