Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Bucks are Back

I guess I would have to say the rut is on. Bucks have been appearing out of nowhere the last few days and it seems that each one we see is bigger than the last. This one was hanging out by the walnut trees yesterday (11-10) when we came home from Cedar.

This is the same buck. It is always good to get a front or rear view to see how wide the spread is. I would judge this one at around 24 to 26 inches, and probably almost that high.I will continue to post more photos as the rut continues. I think it is great that these guys loose their innate fear of man for a few weeks and let us take their photo when their antlers are in their prime and so magnificent. I don't know what possesses someone to want to shoot such an awesome animal. Whatever it is, I feel it every time I see one.


Addendum
More bucks came around Tuesday afternoon. This three point below was the first.

Then several smaller bucks joined in. This two point has retarded horns.

Then this old grandpa below joined the fun. He reminded me of me. He is lame in one rear leg and his horns are all deformed. He will probably be a fatality of the winter. I'm not suggesting that I will, I just mean that he is still a magnificent creature (like me) even though he has a few problems.

This is where he gets real comfortable. Like me, he enjoys an afternoon nap, laying around on lush green grass.

This doe wanted to show off her newly pierced ear. I don't know who she was talking to, but I caught her in mid sentence.

Several fawns came to the party but found it quite boring. Notice the one little feller still has his spots. Hope he is strong enough to make it through the winter.


5 comments:

  1. Its time to declare our own war on these deer? Will you issue me a tag?

    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures..looks like they didn't eat all your lawn..seems they think you planted it just for them. see ya in Dec..love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your label is right.........that is amazing stuff! Can't wait for John to get home and see this blog. He will die. Keep posting. See ya today. Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots of the deer.(too bad they are not at the deer) I can't believe how close you got to snap them. Do you have names for them yet? They look like they have made themselves right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The deer must have gotten together and run the coyotes off. Be careful, you're next. That's what that doe was trying to tell you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome