Sunday, February 15, 2009

Why I Love New Harmony (1)

Why do I love living in New Harmony? There are a lot of reason, and that is why I put a number behind the title in this blog. I may end up listing a lot of them.

We have had a snowy winter. If someone is keeping track, it would be interesting to know just how many total inches we have had this winter. I'll bet it is getting close to 100. Nice thing is, there is probably less than 12 inches on the ground right now. Before this last week, the ground was bare. I was washing our cars on the driveway in my shirt sleeves.



As big a pain as it is, I love the snow. Looking out my window this week and watching the mountain change every few minutes was awesome. The trees on top look like something out of a Christmas tree flock shop. I would love to transport myself up there for just an hour to be able to walk through that frosty wonderland. I'm sure I would need snow shoes. The 100 inches, give or take, we have received down here is probably double that in places up there.



As I watch out the back window, camera in hand, the clouds drift across the mountain, forming a kaleidoscope of shadows and light as the sun peeks through. Sometimes the snow falls soft as freckles, or sometimes angry, as the wind whips a horizontal fury.



The snow builds and drifts, and sooner or later I have to shovel. I kind of ruined my driveway in Kamas using a backhoe to clean snow, so I avoid machinery on this one. Since I don't have a snow blower, I have to shovel. I find the thought is usually worse than the reality. I would much rather spend an hour shoveling snow than 30 minutes on a treadmill. When you are done you can actually see you have accomplished something besides burning 389 calories.



Okay, if you are looking for the reasons I love New Harmony, you have probably already chocked up a few, but I have yet to make my point. Those are all good reasons, but the one that inspired this post is that we live only 35 miles from Saint George. Last week some friends from up north called and asked if I wanted to go golfing. I replied in the affirmative and met them at Sun River Golf Course on Friday. Can you believe that in 30 minutes you can leave this winter wonderland and be golfing? It was a fun day, and definitely a reason to love it here. No matter how much snow we get, or how cold and long our winter is, Saint George is just 30 minutes down the road.


Golfing at Sun River, 2/13/09.
Notice the snow on Pine Valley Mountain in the background.



The foursome, (L to R) myself, Jackson Kaiserman, Jim Kaiserman, John Mann

After golfing I stopped in town and ran a few errands. The traffic was backed up about a quarter mile on the freeway trying to get off at the Bluff Street exit. Then I had to circle the block twice to find a parking space, and wait in line at the check-out. Later as I headed on up the freeway, I was even more glad we live at least 35 miles from Saint George.

5 comments:

  1. I think New Harmony loves you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth? I love the snow too. We haven't got as much as you have this year, but this morning when I got up it is snowing hard out here again and I love it (except our kids are traveling home today). Then, as you say, if you are sick of it, you can head south. And, I'm real glad I don't live in St. George. I love to go there,(Temple, Costco, Mall, Tai Pan and warmth for Easter), but I love to leave too. Brandon was saying the traffic was worse than SLC. Good blog......nice you could go golfing too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I almost forgot.......the best thing about St. George.....Paula's Mexican Food. How could I forget that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be watching this daily (as if I already don't) to see why you love my favorite little town. I am with you on the snow, bring it on baby. Then too, I have one of those wonderful husbands you talk about, and I don't have to do the shoveling. Maybe I would think differently if I did. As Brent said, we are very happy to have you in New Harmony. Love ya tons, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good point. Here in Rexburg we are 35 miles from the North Pole...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome