Monday, November 26, 2018

A new table and a new hobby!

Sometime ago I convinced Elma Lynne to discard an old table we had in our apartment bedroom.  I did that by promising to make her a new one out of local black walnut.  I had cut down a couple of trees which I took and got milled  into lumber.  After it had dried for the requisite time I was out of excuses so I went to work on the table in January of 2018.

I cut several boards to about 48 inches in length, planed them to the desired thickness and glued them together then trimmed them to have a table top of about 39 inches square.  I had a log about 8 inches in diameter that I wanted to use for a pedestal, but I needed a fairly large lathe to mill it to size.  So I want to Harbor Freight and bought a lathe!

After a little practice I went to work on the log and turned a pretty nice pedestal, then made a base for it using some three inch thick walnut.  After a lot of sanding I put a urethane coat on it and finally presented it for Mother's Day.  It now holds a place of honor in the apartment bedroom, but I think it needs a couple of chairs.  Maybe that will be my next project, or at least a future project.

Black Walnut Table - pedestal view

Black Walnut Table - top view 
Oh, turning wood on a lathe has become my new hobby.  The reason the table took so long is that I had so much fun turning the pedestal that I started turning other stuff.  I made lamps, vases, goblets and bowls.  I watched You Tube a lot and got some neat ideas and had fun trying them out.  My main focus has become making bowls.  My next blog will be about my new hobby, turning bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome