Monday, November 26, 2018

Making Wooden Bowls

I got a wood lathe in January this year (2018).  As mentioned in a previous post I got it primarily to turn a pedestal for a table I was making.  Before the table was finished I started making other things.  I started with fish bonkers, a mini baseball bat used to put a fish out of it's misery and keep it from flopping around.  I made several out of some red cedar that grows nearby and smells wonderful.

Red Cedar Fish Bonker
My next project was a bud vase.  I made it for my sweetheart for Valentines Day out of black walnut.

Black Walnut Bud Vase
I made a pair of table lamps also from black walnut.  One is shown as they are nearly identical.

Black Walnut Table Lamp
Goblets are quite easy to make and your imagination can run wild.

Black Walnut Goblet

A friend wanted an urn for his father's ashes.  

Black Walnut Urn
My first bowl.

Pinion Pine Bowl with urethane finish
I got the idea on You Tube to use root burls to make bowls.  Root burls have really interesting grain patterns but have a lot of cracks and craters.  My first root burl bowl turned out quite nice.

Scrub Oak Root Burl Bowl (unfinished)
Finding root burls without a lot of voids is hard, so I started filling the voids with epoxy resin.  It is messy but quite interesting and the results can be awesome!

Root Burl Bowl with clear epoxy inlay
Root Burl Bowl with colored epoxy inlay
Another with colored inlay
This one has gold mica epoxy inlay (My finest work so far)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome