Monday, January 4, 2021

When it Rains, it Pours, or When it Showers it Leaks

 Several years ago we noticed a water stain appearing on the ceiling of the bedroom below our master bathroom.  We obviously had a leak.  When I noticed it getting the carpet wet on the floor in the hallway adjacent to the shower I decided I better do something.  The grout around the floor of the shower was cracked and I supposed that was where the water was getting through, but how it was escaping from the shower pan I had no idea.

I removed all the grout that was cracked and replaced it with new, and that solved the problem for a while.  A few years later we noticed the water mark on the ceiling below getting bigger and decided something more permanent needed to be done.

I knew it was going to be a costly repair so I contacted our insurance company and found we had a $7000.00 deductible and they wouldn't cover it because it had been leaking more than two weeks.  I am going to change insurance companies.

To the insurance companies credit they did agree to send out a plumber to diagnose the problem, and he tore into the ceiling and told me what I already suspected which was that the shower pan was leaking. The plumber told me he knew a real good tile guy and would have him call me.

                               Watermarks on ceiling                                                                  Removing the shower floor
                           Removing the shower pan                                                              Pan, damaged floor  and seat removed

The tile guy came and looked it over and gave me a bid of $2700 plus tile if I remove the old tile and pan and repair the damaged wood. I agreed to and we set a date to get started. 

I tore out the old stuff and made my repairs to the floor.  While I was at it I discovered the drain was full of junk.  At first I thought it was mortar from the original job, but on further inspection I believe it was lime/calcium build-up from hard water.  There have been periods of time when our water softener wasn't working properly and the only thing I can figure is that over the years it has built up in the shower drain.  It took quite a bit of digging but I think I got it pretty well cleaned out.  I am going to make sure I use cleaner in the drain periodically from now on.

The tile guys put their start off a couple of days but they finally got at it.  I think they did a good job but they were really undependable. They would tell me they would be here at 10:00am and show up at 3:00.  We timed it so they would be finished before we left for Salt Lake on Monday the 22nd, but they weren't even near to being finished. I had to make arrangements for Tony to come and let them in while we were gone and they finally did get it finished.  Tony said once when he came and checked on them they had their big pit bull in the house.  He told them he was sure that wouldn't make me very happy.  He was right.  good thing I didn't know about it before I paid them.

Overall I am pleased with the job that was done but I couldn't give them a good recommendation based on their being so undependable.  They've got to learn to organize better so they can be on time if they are going to build a successful company.  And don't take your big dog in someone's house just because they aren't there.

                   The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome