Sunday, October 12, 2008

Les Miserables

We went to Lay Miz (I don't know why the French make spelling so hard) at the Tuacahn Theater Thursday night with our friends visiting from Kamas. This was the second time this year, and you might think we would get tired of it but not so. I think I enjoyed it every bit as much as when we went in June.


The weather was cooler this time, and we weren't sitting quite as close, but I became completly immersed in the production. I sang along with the cast, sometimes not too quietly, and I suffered, celebrated and wept with them. I picked out things I hadn't noticed before and I recited lines in my mind that I have now become so familiar with.

I have grown to really love the music of this production. I find myself singing it for days after, and even weeks and months later it pops into my mind. I must repeat (see pervious blog, Broadway In The Desert), however, the main reason I like Les Miserables, is because of the message. Victor Hugh did a marvelous job of writing a story, some of which is taken from real experiences, that combines so many thematic elements to express his belief that a small act of kindness can change a person forever, that man can overcome evil with good, and that man is not necessarily a product of his environment, but that he can change, and that God can be a very real force in our lives no matter what our situation. And I agree with him! I think I want to read the book.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the music form Les Mis too. I would like to have the sound track. Half the time, I didn't know what the play was about, but oh, how I loved the music. It has probably been 20 years since we saw it and I still go around singing "Master of the House". Great reading, bro. Clod

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome