Friday, December 5, 2008

Rock On...

I know this isn't the rockiest place on earth, but I'll bet it ranks up there pretty high. If anyone is keeping track, I want to nominate 82 E Rachel Lane. I doube there is a record book, after all how would you quantify it. Maybe rocks per square mile? And who is going to count? And how big does a rock have to be to be counted? So many questions, I'll bet even Guiness doesn't have it in his book.
Anyhow, can you believe all the rocks in this pile came from the foreground of this photo? If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I probably wouldn't believe it either. I had quite a pile of rocks here that I dug up while preparing my orchard spot. My neighbor (and others) hauled them all away for landscaping. I thought to finish up I would just dig out a few more that were showing... HA! For every rock that is showing there are about 8,000 more hiding beneath it. I would think these things are just layong around having babies, except that most of them are full grown!

I took this photo just to give you a little more perspective as to the magnitude of the problem here. I hope you're not thinking that I dug these all out with a shovel. Yes, I am retired, but I don't have rocks in my head. I don't think. Maybe I shouldn't think, because if I think about it, maybe I do, for even trying to move these things. And it's all so I can plant a garden and give the local wildlife something else to destroy. Hmmm. Don't even try to look at it logically because there is only one answer. I have rocks in my head.

3 comments:

  1. Great, funny blog, Bro. Isn't it the truth that for every one you dig up that there are so many more. We've learned that in our landscaping episodes too. John and Sonja have one in their new back yard, that they are just going to leave there as part of the landscape because they are afraid it's as big as the house if they start digging. (Only the top is showing.) Keep up the blogs, I love them. Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had the same problem at our previous home in Bluffdale. We opted to leave them and bring in topsoil and manure to cover them. They still seemed to creep up to the surface, kind of like they were alive and reproducing! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote for rockiest place on earth is Weber Canyon, where I dug hand trenches for phone lines to cabins all summer long as a teenager.

    Smaller, but more tenacious, as there wasn't much dirt in between. Some of those phone lines ended up barely deep enough to keep the squirrels from chewing on them, I think. Oh well, they can't get to them anyway-too many rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome