Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow And More Snow

Me and my big mouth. Never again will I brag about how little snow we have had since we have been in New Harmony. After clearing snow all day Wednesday, I had barely out the equipment away when it started snowing again. Thursday morning we woke up to another 15".



Dad used to have a funny saying that I think is appropriate: "That was the winter it started snowing and never did quit!" I suppose he was quoting someone but I'm not sure who. He came up with another one just the other day. One of his favorite pastimes is reading the obituaries. The conversation was about someone that had recently passed away and someone asked him how old they were and his reply was, "As old as he's going to get." We probably should keep a log of his funny sayings and quotes.
Back to the snow... I have a skid loader and it works quite well for moving snow, except when it is slick. When all four tires get spinning there isn't much you can do except gun the engine and spin 'em faster, hoping that one will grab. I don't like to use it on my concrete driveway because it is too easy to gouge the cement, so all the snow you see piled along it was shoveled! I'm sure I have shoveled at least an acre-foot!
Don't get me wrong. I love this snow. I can hardly wait until the grand kids come for Christmas and we can make snowmen and snow forts and maybe snow caves and snow trails an sleigh runs and maybe have a snowball fight. The beauty is incomparable, and it tends to emphasize the change of season, which I love. And OH! what a change! I just hate shoveling it! And I suppose I should be a little grateful that it it is forcing me to do some exercising this time of year when I mostly exercise my jaws.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I love your photos..they are really nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is amazing. I know I should not have complained about a little snow here in Vegas. You are right though it IS beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good greif, that is SNOW!!nAre we going to be able to get down there for Dad's party? I love it. Claudine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad, I love that picture on the top of Kolob. You are an amazing photographer. Once I get my Christmas present (shhhh) I want you to teach me some tricks.

    You guys really got dumped on! We have too, but most of it has been coming down sideways. It is probably just blowing through here and landing in New Harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say how much I love the photo of Kolob at the top of your blog. You really are anamazing photographer. Claudine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome