Thursday, October 29, 2009

Kanarra Falls

Kanarra Falls

Having grown up in New harmony you would think I would know all the good places to hike in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, I didn't hike much when I was growing up. We did a lot of walking while hunting, but mostly we rode horses as far as we could, then hiked. I don't ever remember looking for a place specifically to go hiking.

When I returned to the area a few years ago I heard people talk about Kanarra Falls. I thought it couldn't be much or I would know about it. Finally I decided to find out by asking around and talking to people who had been there. Based on their descriptions I decided it was definitely somewhere I should go and started making plans.

On July 11, 2009 Jillyn and Kenny were here and wanting to do a hike. We talked about going back up to the Beaver area and trying for Delano Peak again (last time we climbed Mount Holly by mistake instead of Delano) but decided it was too far for the time we had available. I suggested Kanarra Falls and they agreed.

The trail starts on the east side of Kanarraville up toward the water tank. There is a parking area below the tank, then the trail goes up the road past the tank, which is the hardest part of the entire hike.

First thing up the trail we met this wild-eyed guy who was muttering somewhat incoherently that he had almost stepped on a rattlesnake. Lucky for the snake because he weighed about 300 pounds. He pointed a shaky finger to a bush and we found the snake there scared half to death.

The Kanarra Falls hike, in my opinion, is one of the best kept secrets in the area. It is a beautiful slot canyon within walking distance for even the most inept. Small children can do it as it is only a couple of miles on pretty flat terrain. It might even be nice to have some younger folks along to protect you from the snakes. Some of the hike involves getting wet, and the creek probably flows higher and colder in the spring of the year, but in mid summer the water level is low and hot temperatures make a little soaking quite pleasant.
The canyon is wide at the bottom, but soon narrows and displays some beautiful sandstone formations made by years of erosion. As you continue you will find yourself walking through narrow winding slots barely wide enough to walk through and a hundred or so feet deep, cut through the sandstone by the stream's incessant flow.
At the first falls there is a log ladder that isn't too difficult to climb. It even has a rope handrail. If you don't want to climb this you can turn around here and still have had a great hike. If you are the adventurous type and have to see what is at the top of the falls, continue on.

Above are more slot canyons and more wading. It is kind of hard to avoid getting wet, at least to your knees.

About midway between the lower and upper falls you encounter this water park. There is no entrance fee, but there may be some waiting in line as there is only one slide. Kids were sliding down the slick rocks into the pool below while parents cooled off. I think we may have interrupted a wet tee shirt contest.

I have hiked Buckskin Gulch, which is considered one of the premier slot canyons in the world, but some of the places in Kanarra Creek are just as impressive and are much more accessible.

After some more slot canyon you arrive at the second falls. this one is a little more difficult, mainly because there is no log ladder. The only help is a rickety board ladder of sorts that has been nailed together. I put my camera into a plastic bag and then in my pack and tried to make the ascent. About half way up you have to grab a wet rope and pull yourself the rest of the way.
About the time I grabbed the rope, the ladder skipped and I found myself hanging by the rope directly under the falls. As my pack filled up with water and my clothes got soaked my grip on the rope slipped and I made a not so gentle descent. I checked and my camera stayed dry, thank goodness, but everything else was wet and even on a warm summer day it seemed quite cold. Jillyn and Kenny knew they could not better my display of sportsmanship, so they declined to try the ascent. We turned around at that point and returned back the way we had come.

Right after my failed attempt a strong young show-off came and showed us how to do it, but by then we had decided there couldn't be anything up there more impressive than what we had already seen.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so fun. I'd like to do that sometime if I thought I could fit through the slot canyons. And I probably couldn't breath, but I'm glad you took the photos, so I won't have to go. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome