Friday, February 5, 2010

Signs of Spring

I guess I am an optimist, but even though there is a foot of snow outside, and it is threatening to snow again, I see signs of Spring everywhere. First of all, look at the calendar. We are a week into February! Okay, so Spring doesn't officially come on the calendar in the northern hemisphere until March 21, but when the snow melts and the Snowflowers come out, its Spring to me. I have photos of Snowflowers taken the first week in March for the last two years. I don't care what that fat rodent in Pennsylvania says, Spring isn't six weeks away, maybe three.


I took this shot of icicles on Redd Creek yesterday about 9:00 am, then when I returned about noon they were melted.


One problem with Spring coming is that I want to be out hiking and riding in the hills, and I don't nearly have all my winter projects done. I really want to get the cabinet doors installed in my den. I've had them for almost a year and was saving that as a winter project. I wanted to get some more finished on the inside of my shop, and I haven't even looked at that, other than to make room to get all my equipment inside when it started snowing.




This photo taken yesterday shows new green growth from the roots of a burnt Quinine Bush.


Another problem with Spring is the mud. I really don't like mud, and it seems like there is a lot of it around in the Spring. However, we are not exempt from mud in the winter and we have had more than our share already this year. At least when Spring comes you know it will dry up eventually.


Birds at the feeder are another sign of spring. All winter the Pinion Jays are king of the hill, getting first choice of the seeds. The Spotted Towhees, Juncos and a variety of sparrows are plentiful. A couple of days ago I saw a Gold Finch and a House Finch. Definitely not winter birds around here. They would have made a good photo, but were quite timid and I couldn't get close enough.


Snow melt and a sunny southern exposure has some green grass showing.

I love green. I think it is my favorite color. Trees with new green leaves. A grove of quaking Aspen. Willows along the creek. A beautiful meadow. A field of waving grass or alfalfa. Freshly mowed grass, especially on a golf course. Money.



Newborn calves are a pretty good sign of Spring.

Spring means new life. Concealed in the ground all winter, it begins again. With the first warming days buds shape, then open. Blossoms and flowers explode, briefly flaunt their beauty, then generate seeds to perpetuate their vanity. Leaves appear and dress cold naked branches, enticing myriads of birds to make their summer homes. Everything seems energized in spring. Green begins its synthesis, replacing our exhaust with breathable air. Babies are born; animals, birds and fish reproduce their species. The poets say that even a young man's fancy turns to love in spring.

Spring also means new starts. It means that no matter what mistakes we made last year, we have the chance to start again. A chance to do better. I like that a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Great post about spring. Can't wait to see some snow flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't even let the word "spring" enter our minds until April.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome